Manuka Honey Lozenges
Manuka honey lozenges are a natural and effective way to support overall health and well-being, particularly in alleviating sore throats, promoting oral health, and boosting the immune system.
Derived from the nectar of the Manuka tree (Leptospermum scoparium) native to New Zealand and Australia, Manuka honey is renowned for its unique healing properties and high antibacterial activity.
These lozenges harness the power of Manuka honey, providing a convenient and tasty way to experience its numerous health benefits.
In this article, we will explore the advantages of using Manuka honey lozenges, their unique properties, how to choose the right lozenges and more. Join us as we delve into the world of Manuka honey lozenges and learn how they can improve your health and wellness.
Health Benefits of Manuka Honey Lozenges
Manuka honey lozenges offer a wide range of health benefits due to their antibacterial, antiviral, and anti-inflammatory properties. Some of the primary advantages of using these lozenges include:
Sore Throat Relief
Manuka honey lozenges can provide effective relief for sore throats by reducing inflammation, soothing irritation, and combating the bacteria and viruses responsible for the condition. Their natural antibacterial properties help alleviate the symptoms and speed up healing.
Immune System Support
Manuka honey’s rich nutritional profile, including its high levels of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals, helps to support a healthy immune system. By consuming Manuka honey lozenges, you can provide your body with the essential nutrients it needs to fight off infections and maintain optimal health.
Oral Health Improvement
Manuka honey lozenges can promote better oral health by inhibiting the growth of harmful bacteria, reducing plaque formation, and fighting bad breath. Regular consumption of these lozenges can help maintain a clean and healthy oral environment, preventing dental problems such as cavities and gum disease.
Manuka honey is known for its prebiotic effects, which can improve gut health by promoting the growth of beneficial bacteria in the digestive tract. Manuka honey lozenges can contribute to better digestive health by supporting a balanced gut microbiome, reducing inflammation, and aiding in the management of digestive issues such as acid reflux, indigestion, and irritable bowel syndrome.
Manuka Honey’s Unique Properties
Manuka honey sets itself apart from other types of honey due to its distinct composition and exceptional healing properties. The following are some of the key components that make Manuka honey lozenges so beneficial:
- Methylglyoxal (MGO) Methylglyoxal is a natural compound in Manuka honey responsible for its potent antibacterial activity. MGO is present in higher concentrations in Manuka honey compared to other types of honey, giving it superior antimicrobial properties that are effective against a wide range of bacteria and pathogens.
- Hydrogen Peroxide Like other types of honey, Manuka honey contains hydrogen peroxide, which acts as a natural antiseptic. The hydrogen peroxide in Manuka honey can help kill bacteria, reduce inflammation, and promote wound healing, making it a valuable component of Manuka honey lozenges.
- Non-Peroxide Activity Manuka honey also possesses non-peroxide activity (NPA), which refers to the unique antibacterial properties that are not attributable to hydrogen peroxide. This NPA is primarily due to the presence of MGO and other compounds in Manuka honey, which contribute to its ability to combat bacteria and provide health benefits even when the hydrogen peroxide content is neutralized.
Proper Use and Dosage of Manuka Honey Lozenges
To ensure maximum effectiveness and safety when using Manuka honey lozenges, following the recommended usage guidelines and dosage are essential. Here are some general tips for proper use and dosage:
- Follow package instructions: Always read and follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer on the packaging of Manuka honey lozenges. These guidelines are designed to ensure that you use the lozenges safely and effectively.
- Dosage for adults: Typically, adults can consume one Manuka honey lozenge every 2 to 3 hours as needed to alleviate symptoms, such as sore throat, cough, or mouth discomfort. However, it’s essential to follow the specific dosage recommendations provided by the manufacturer.
- Dosage for children: Manuka honey lozenges are generally not recommended for children under the age of 4 due to the potential choking hazard. Consult a healthcare professional or follow the manufacturer’s age-specific dosage recommendations for older children.
- Duration of use: Manuka honey lozenges can be used for short-term relief of symptoms. If your symptoms persist or worsen after a few days of use, consult a healthcare professional for further evaluation and guidance.
- Allergies and sensitivities: If you have a known allergy to honey or bee products, avoid using Manuka honey lozenges. Additionally, if you experience any adverse reactions or signs of an allergic reaction while using the lozenges, discontinue use and consult a healthcare professional.
Possible Side Effects and Precautions of Manuka Honey Lozenges
While Manuka honey lozenges are generally considered safe for consumption, it’s essential to be aware of potential side effects and precautions to ensure a positive experience. Here are some points to consider:
- Allergic reactions: Individuals who are allergic to bees, honey, or pollen may experience an allergic reaction to Manuka honey lozenges. If you have a known allergy or are unsure, consult with a healthcare professional before using these lozenges.
- Diabetics: Manuka honey contains natural sugars, which may affect blood sugar levels. Diabetic individuals should monitor their blood sugar closely and consult with their healthcare provider before incorporating Manuka honey lozenges into their routine.
- Infants: Honey products, including Manuka honey lozenges, should not be given to children under 12 months of age due to the risk of botulism.
- Interactions with medications: Although rare, Manuka honey may interact with certain medications, such as blood thinners, sedatives, or chemotherapy drugs. If you are taking any medications, consult with your healthcare provider before using Manuka honey lozenges.
- Overconsumption: Excessive consumption of Manuka honey lozenges may lead to gastrointestinal issues or an upset stomach. To avoid this, stick to the recommended dosage and consult with a healthcare professional if you experience any adverse effects.
Homemade Manuka Honey Lozenges Recipe
If you’d like to make your own Manuka honey lozenges at home, follow this simple recipe:
- 1/2 cup Manuka honey (UMF 10+ or higher)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon organic coconut oil
- Optional: Add a few drops of essential oils (e.g., lemon, eucalyptus, or peppermint) for additional flavor and health benefits
- Prepare a silicone candy mold or line a small baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small saucepan, combine the Manuka honey, water, and coconut oil. Heat the mixture on low heat, stirring occasionally to prevent it from sticking to the pan.
- Use a candy thermometer to monitor the temperature of the honey mixture. Heat it to 300°F (150°C) — the “hard crack” stage. This process may take around 20-30 minutes. Be patient and avoid overheating, as this can damage the beneficial properties of the Manuka honey.
- Once the mixture reaches 300°F, carefully remove the saucepan from heat and let it cool for a minute. If desired, add a few drops of your chosen essential oil and stir gently.
- Carefully pour or spoon the mixture into the silicone mold or drop small spoonfuls onto the parchment paper. If using a mold, allow the lozenges to cool and harden for about 30 minutes. If using parchment paper, spread the mixture out into small, even circles and let them harden for 30-45 minutes.
- When the lozenges are completely cooled and hardened, remove them from the mold or parchment paper. Store them in an airtight container, separated by layers of wax paper to prevent sticking.
Enjoy your homemade Manuka honey lozenges as needed to soothe a sore throat, support immune health, or promote oral health. Remember to consume them in moderation and follow the precautions mentioned earlier.
FAQs on Manuka Honey Lozenges
What are Manuka honey lozenges good for?
Manuka honey lozenges are good for providing relief from sore throats, supporting immune system health, improving oral hygiene, and promoting digestive well-being. These lozenges harness the powerful antibacterial, antiviral, and anti-inflammatory properties of Manuka honey to offer these health benefits.
How often can I take Manuka honey lozenges?
The recommended dosage of Manuka honey lozenges can vary depending on the specific product and individual needs. Generally, you can take one lozenge every 2-4 hours as needed for relief from a sore throat or to maintain oral health. Always follow the instructions on the packaging and consult with a healthcare professional if you have any concerns.
Are Manuka honey drops good for sore throats?
Yes, Manuka honey drops or lozenges are good for sore throats. They can provide effective relief by reducing inflammation, soothing irritation, and combating the bacteria and viruses responsible for the condition. The natural antibacterial properties of Manuka honey help to alleviate the symptoms and speed up the healing process.
Cara Hayes is an experienced natural health practitioner with a Masters in Clinical Nutrition & Dietetics from the University of Sydney. She has been writing for New Zealand Honey since 2020 and loves manuka in her morning tea.